Sunday, June 28, 2009

On the Mend....

Or so I thought. I had a pretty decent day. I had alternated taking Advil and Tylenol every 2 hours and felt pretty decent except for feeling beat down. My headache was really controlled and I think it almost went away completely. Then I made a fatal mistake. I decided not to take my 5pm dose of meds since I thought I was on the up swing.

Not the best idea in the world.

By 9 pm I was in a world of trouble. Fever spiked. Severe shivering (and by severe, I'm talking it looked like I was having a seizure-- I had on pants and socks, a shirt and a long sleeved shirt, and was under a sheet and three blankets and was still cold). Headache returned. Achiness back. Add to the my cough got worse and as I hacked away, my headache only tripled in pain. I felt nauseous, and light headed, and just completely horrible.

Problem is, how am I supposed to know I'm better yet if I'm always taking medicine? I could be taking medicine for like 15 years and not know if my fever is gone yet, you know?

Not sure what to do with that department. But for now, I guess I'll keep taking my meds every 2 hours.

I went to the dr yesterday. Well, it was a walk in clinic and there was a Nurse Practitioner there, but whatever.....she's been trained to figure stuff out. Since I want to be a nurse myself, I'm a little partial to NP's. Anyway, she said its more than likely the Flu, which was what I kinda figured out on my own. Ray asked me to ask her if it was H1N1, aka Swine Flu. She said she didn't think so because it would be more severe and I would be completely knocked down. Then today, I was IM'ing with my best friend who moved far away from south Florida for a fancy job at the CDC. She's gone through some extensive information sessions on H1N1 due to her job there, and half jokingly said I probably had it. I told her what the NP said, about it being more severe, and she explained to me in all this fancy talk that thats not necessarily true and asked if I got my mouth swabbed. I said no, and she said that since people have been recovering pretty well, they're not getting swabbed as much because of the expense. Whatever. I don't really care what kind of Flu I have, I just want it to go away. Influenza A, Influenza B, makes no difference, just hurry up and go.

Now I sit here, wide awake, awaiting for my Advil PM that I took an hour ago to kick in. I'm hot, but then I take the blankets off and I'm chilly. It's crazy. My head is killing me, and I have to be back up in an hour to take more meds. Fun.

Ray says I might have to go back to the dr on Monday. Bleh. I really don't like going. Unless they can magically make me feel better or give me some super narcotics to take away this headache, I'm not sure what the point is. Yeah, I know asking for narcotics sounds bad, but remember, I don't even like to take meds in the first place. I just want some relief.

Anyone got any relief?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO TO THE DOCTOR! As your brother in law -aka the doctor in the family- told me one time, "Your doctor is your friend"!!:) I really am sorry you are feeling so terrible, it stinks. Hope things are improving while you sleep:)
mom k

allhisblessings said...

Get lots of sleep! Drink lots of water! Hope you're feeling better today :)

 

Mini Kit Klan:
Ray, Gabbi, Grace and Nate
Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Emocutez