Thursday, November 4, 2010

Things To Be Thankful For.....

Following along with my sis-in-law, Wendi and her blog, and some other people on Facebook, I will post one thing to be thankful for each day in November. Since it's the 4th day today, I will post 4 things today and then try to keep up each day.

First, I want to share with you some pics of Nate's knee. Last week sometime, Grace fell and scraped her knee pretty good at school. Like the day after that happened, Nate had a little scrape on his knee and told me he fell at school. A day or two later, his "cut" looked really weird. It was a circle, about the size of a nickel, and the skin in the middle of the circle was puffed out, kind of like a blister but I didn't see any fluid behind the skin as you would see in a blister. The circle was outlined by a faint red line. At first I thought he might have had ringworm but after looking online, it seemed too soon for ringworm to have developed. I asked Ray to take a look, but he thought it was just the cut on his knee and so I decided to just put a little antibiotic cream on it and a band-aid. A couple of days later, which was Monday, Nate wakes up in the morning and tells me his boo-boo hurts and he needs a band-aid. I see that he has another scratch mark above his first cut, but thought it was itchy and maybe he scratched too hard and broke the skin. I put a band-aid on it and left it alone. Then I noticed on Tuesday there was another lesion. I think something isn't quite right, but I thought maybe it was my imagination. Wednesday it looks really off. He has like 4 lesions, all perfect little circles, all doing the same puffy skin in the middle thing, and now they break and start oozing honey colored fluid. Ick. My very first thought is Impetigo. But I like to see pictures and the ones I could find online didn't look like what Nate has, so I second guessed my thought. None-the-less I decide Nate needs to go get this checked out, because what ever it is, it is spreading and who knows what's going to happen if I don't take him. I really dislike going to the doctor's office. Mainly because I feel like usually whatever the reason I "think" I might need to go to the doctor's office will usually turn out to be nothing. So, I feel like I not going because of that. But then I create a new dilemma. What if it is actually something? Usually, more so for myself than the kids, I wait until the last possible moment to go (like when I had the flu/pneumonia thing last year.....was sick for probably 4 days before I finally drug myself in). So Nate and I went to the dr. Lo and behold, Impetigo! Poor Nate. Now he is on an oral antibiotic, Keflex, 3 times a day and an antibiotic ointment.

Here's the pic (I had already put 2 band-aids on the little lesions I wasn't sure if they were part of this or not, and I had already applied the ointment to the lesions, but you can still see how nasty these look, which they look a lot nastier now then they did at first!)



Ok and now for things to be thankful for:

Nov 1: My family. They have been so wonderful and supportive, especially this last year since I started nursing school. I love them all.

Nov 2: Snuggle time with my kids. Sometimes, in the hustle and bustle of life, I take these moments for granted. I miss the times when they were littler and we snuggled often.

Nov 3: Financial Aid. Without it, I'm not sure how I'd be going to school right now. Well, I'd probably get some loans, but still. You know what I mean.

Nov 4: Cool weather. I just love cool weather. It really lifts my spirits, just something about it. Thankfully, we're getting a cool front tomorrow. How awesome is that?

2 comments:

allhisblessings said...

Wow, graphic photos! :) Hope Nate's feeling better!

Gabbs said...

Yeah, it's much better now, thanks!

 

Mini Kit Klan:
Ray, Gabbi, Grace and Nate
Copyright © 2010 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template Sponsored by Emocutez