Not much new has been going on around here except for school.
Nate FINALLY begins his new speech appointments with the Public School. This saga all started back in December at his 3 year old check up. His doctor expressed concern with his speech, calling it a Speech Articulation Delay. She gave me a referral to go to the hospital's speech department. We had some insurance issues going on, but had finally got them all resolved and Nate in to see the speech therapist around the beginning of March. At the same time, I had made an appointment for Nate for the Public School Board, knowing that the insurance would not pay for continual visits. That appointment was set up for the end of April, almost 2 months later.
Well when the end of April finally rolled around, we were very disappointed to find out that the appointment Nate had was just a "screening" to see if he needed to be evaluated further, and even more disappointed to find out that that appointed wouldn't be until more than likely August.
We got a call at the beginning of August to go get Nate evaluated. Yes, even after "screening" him and being told that yes, he does have a speech problem, they have to "evaluate" him. I'm not sure why they couldn't evaluate at the screening, but what can you expect from a government-run program? Anyway, we got a call a day or two later saying that Nate indeed did qualify to get speech therapy and that after school started he would get called for an appointment. Last week Ray went in for an appointment for, get this, to be told that Nate would get started with appointments. Sheesh. They could have just saved some money and told us this back in April. So 6 months after I made the first phone call my poor boy is FINALLY getting started. The only good thing I can say is that thank goodness I don't have to pay for it.
Is this just a foretelling of a future with government health care? Can you imagine waiting 6 months to see a doctor? Scary.
Nate FINALLY begins his new speech appointments with the Public School. This saga all started back in December at his 3 year old check up. His doctor expressed concern with his speech, calling it a Speech Articulation Delay. She gave me a referral to go to the hospital's speech department. We had some insurance issues going on, but had finally got them all resolved and Nate in to see the speech therapist around the beginning of March. At the same time, I had made an appointment for Nate for the Public School Board, knowing that the insurance would not pay for continual visits. That appointment was set up for the end of April, almost 2 months later.
Well when the end of April finally rolled around, we were very disappointed to find out that the appointment Nate had was just a "screening" to see if he needed to be evaluated further, and even more disappointed to find out that that appointed wouldn't be until more than likely August.
We got a call at the beginning of August to go get Nate evaluated. Yes, even after "screening" him and being told that yes, he does have a speech problem, they have to "evaluate" him. I'm not sure why they couldn't evaluate at the screening, but what can you expect from a government-run program? Anyway, we got a call a day or two later saying that Nate indeed did qualify to get speech therapy and that after school started he would get called for an appointment. Last week Ray went in for an appointment for, get this, to be told that Nate would get started with appointments. Sheesh. They could have just saved some money and told us this back in April. So 6 months after I made the first phone call my poor boy is FINALLY getting started. The only good thing I can say is that thank goodness I don't have to pay for it.
Is this just a foretelling of a future with government health care? Can you imagine waiting 6 months to see a doctor? Scary.

1 comment:
As much as I'm glad he's is finally getting to go, I'm going to miss him hearing him say, I'm going to "peach class" By the way, what's with that? He can say Sam just fine when he says "direman Sam" :)!oh well, he's just cute whatever he says...
grandma k
Post a Comment